Ready to up your writing game? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a seasoned veteran, it helps to keep a writing toolbox nearby to keep you learning, earning and growing. As I’ve grown my own freelance writing business, I’ve discovered tremendous value in the websites, training resources, books, and products/services mentioned below.
- Freelance Writer’s Den (click on banner ad on top): I’ve found this affordable resource ($25/month) to be very helpful, as it provides not only a great community of fellow writers helping each other but also some valuable training (webinars, podcasts, etc.) via Carol Tice and other experts. Just wanted to give you a heads up—if you’re thinking about joining the Den, I’d appreciate if you click on my affiliate ad above. It will cost you nothing and will give me a little extra pocket change so I can fund my coffee addiction. 🙂
- Freelance Writer’s Den Bootcamps: Most are free with Writer’s Den membership
($25/month), with courses such as Earn Big with E-Learning, Freelance Business Bootcamp, Build a Writer’s Website that Works, How to Get Great Clients and more.
- Horkey Handbook: Freelance writer Gina Horkey offers a great course for beginning writers called 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success.
- Poynter News University: Tons of incredible resources for writers and editors, including dozens of free and affordable online training course.
- Useful Writing Courses: Affordable courses such as Journalism Crash Course, Article Writing Master Class, and the Freelance Writer’s Pitch Clinic.
- 88 Money-Making Writing Jobs by Robert Bly
- The Comedy Bible by Judy Carter
- Comedy Writing Secrets, 2nd edition, by Mel Helitzer
- The Complete Guide to Article Writing by Naveed Saleh
- Make Money to Write About Your Kids: Get Published in Regional, National and Online Parenting & Family Magazines, 6th Edition by Kerrie McLoughlin
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott
- The Renegade Writer by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
- The Renegade Writer’s Query Letters That Rock by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
- Secrets of a Freelance Writer by Robert Bly
- The Ultimate Guide to Marketing Your Freelance Writing by Linda Formichelli
- Write for Magazines: A Self-Study E-Course to Help You Break In & Earn More by Linda Formichelli
- Writer for Hire: 101 Secrets to Freelance Success by Kelly James-Enger
- Writer’s Market
- Simply Bill: An easy way to invoice clients, stay on top of overdue payments, send clients payment reminders and thank you notes, and track your income. It’s secure, cloud-based, customizable with your logo, and free if you send 1-3 invoices/month. But, if you need more bandwidth, Simply Bill offers low-cost plans starting at just $5/month.
- MailChimp: If you want a simple way to stay in touch with your email subscribers, sign up for MailChimp. (I’m not tech-savvy, but even I was able to figure out the basics of sending out email campaigns through this service.) It’s free for your first 2,000 subscribers.